Friday, January 23, 2009

The Quilt

This was one of my favorite parts of Christmas. My amazing sister wanted to make our mom and dad a quilt for Christmas. We put the kids hand-prints on it, pictures they had drawn, and then pictures of the kids with Grandma and Grandpa. It was a challenge for me because being crafty is not one of my specialties. But I have such a wonderful and patient sister who encourages me to do things that I would definitely not try on my own. Plus she put up with all my complaining and frustration. It took a long time to put together. I can't even count the hours we put into this blanket. But the final product was well worth it. It was beautiful and the reaction from our parents was Priceless!!

But we decided that it would be not fun just to give them the blanket without a little teasing. Here is the story:

We bought them a quilt holder to display the quilt. So we had this wrapped under the tree. They opened this and had no idea what it was. We told them that it was a quilt holder to hang their pretty quilt on that they have in their front room. She gave us a puzzled look and said, "We do not have a quilt in our front room." So we went on and on about how I thought they had a pretty quilt on the back of one of their chairs and how I'd told Amy that they would love that. So we sat there and apologized for such a dumb gift and that they could take it back. They tried so hard to act excited! It was hard to not laugh. (The story continues below.)


Mom and Dad trying to act like they like the the gift.

Dad putting together the quilt holder

So we sat there and took a ton of pictures of them with this quilt holder to make them think that it was all there was. They were so silly with it.

Once we had teased them for probably 15 min. we had the kids walk out wrapped in the quilt. They both broke down in tears, especially mom. (The quilt holder did not look so bad now.)

They loved the quilt and have it displayed in their entrance way. Which means they really like it. Only the best of the best things go in there. We love you mom and dad. You are so amazing and are so grateful to have such wonderful parents.


The front of the blanket. The back is the same colors just 4 big squares sewn together. (Just the blue, purple, pink, and yellow.) It looks really nice with the blanket.

A close up. For the pictures we actually made little pocket with vinyl which we stitched on to the quilt. This way they can update the pictures.

6 comments:

Amber said...

I love the quilt! What a keepsake for your family!

swan lover Deb said...

what a special gift! You are the bestest daughters ever!

Amannda Ashby said...

So cute! congratulation on getting it all done. I think that you are so silly that you say that you are not crafty you've done all kinds of crafty things and they always turn out great. I love how you guys gave it to them. Those memoeries are pricelss.

Jodi said...

I love the quilt. Teasing someone around christmas is the best part about giving gifts.

Whitney Jo said...

That is so funny! I laughed my butt off! You guys are the cutest family ever!!! Love your blog (so does Connor)!

Tiff said...

Proof that you are crafty! :) It turned out so good... you guys are amazing!