Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The first week of August we went to St. George and stayed in my families condo. (David had to work in St. George that week, so we went along for a vacation.) We had a blast. On Friday David did not have to work so we were able to spend the day having fun as a family.

Our first stop was to the Johnson's Dinosaur Discovery Museum. It had so many dinosaur tracks. The museum came to be when Mr. Johnson was excavating on his property and as he dug down he came across dinosaur tracks. They are said to be the most complete group of dinosaur tracks anywhere. (I think that is what the guide said. I could be mistaken. Maybe it was just in Utah.) They really were cool.

Next, we hit the park for some lunch. (Good old PB and J. When I was growing up I always said that I would never pack a lunch when we were going out, that I would just take my family to McDonald's. Well my attitude has changed a little.) We had a lot of fun. David was so silly with the kids all day long. (I have pictures to prove it!)

Then we toured Brigham Young's Winter house. That was mostly for Mom and Dad. But the kids were so good. It was awesome. One of the pictures in the slide show is where lightening has struck a tree on the property of the house. They actually did surgery on the tree by putting a metal rod in the middle to hold the two pieces together. This is the only tree that was actually standing when Brigham Young lived there. They did not want to lose it. They would use this tree to grow silk worms on. The house was gorgeous.

Our last stop was Snow Canyon. (Actually our last stop was Arctic Circle. Yum!) We went to the sand dunes. It is all this sand with hills. It was like a giant sand box. (Except with ants) It was really cool, especially the ants! The wind was blowing too. We all know how sand and wind mix so well. Seriously, not our best experience. However, David loved it. I think he felt like a kid again. He said that as a child they came here with Grandma and Grandpa Ashby. So as David ran off to live out his childhood, I dealt with crying kids. Sounds like fun!! I am making it sound a lot worse than it was. Once the kids saw daddy they all joined in. They just needed some help in seeing what to do. They ran up and down the hill, which were HUGE!

After the sand dunes we found the Volcano on the map they had given us. Which was cool. The kids were amazed. They thought Volcano's were for the dinosaurs. They were a little afraid that it was going to erupt. We had to explain that is was an0 extinct volcano. We did not hike it just admired it.

On our way out we hiked a gigantic rock. (David saw it of course and we just had to stop! He is a nut. I love to watch him in nature because he really lets loose, and totally cracks me up. He is such a boy. Our kids, especially our boys, are so lucky to have a Dad that is going to help them experience nature. Because I can barely even go camping. The dirt makes me crazy!! Plus kids always have runny noses. I swear when my kids see dirt their noses just start running. Runny noses plus dirt is awesome. It becomes like plaster on the face that you have to scrape off! It just can't stand it. The Lord gave me three boys so that I would learn to love dirt, bugs, farts, burps, hitting, snot, spit, climbing, wrestling, and all those other lovely things.

Anyways, back to the subject!! We had a fantastic time together. I love when we get these times together as a family. All your cares are gone and you can just have fun. (And then you remember you have kids!! I really am just kidding. We had a blast.)

6 comments:

bountiful23yw said...

I just cannot get over how cute your family is! You guys are always doing such fun things. Seriously, I'd love it if you called me when your in Salt Lake next. It would be so fun to catch up with you!!

carolee said...

Sorry Allison, that last comment was from me (Carolee). I didn't realize I was logged in under our ward's young women's blog!

Robyn said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Cute pics.

FrankNApril said...

I love your pictures! My Mom lives up there and 2 of my sisters. How fun. April

Tiff said...

Cute new background! I miss you guys... come back! :)

The Baker Family said...

hey girl! You are so hilarious! I just laughed my butt off reading your comments on my blog! Nobody else would find it funny, but I do! So, FYI, Jonny and I have broken 9 beds in our 9 years of life together. We are just like Edward and Bella! Ha Ha